As the L.A. Times health blog reports, the Food and Drug Administration recently issued a warning advising consumers not to use “ear candles”—fabric that is soaked in either paraffin or beeswax, set on fire and deliberately placed in the ear. These candles, which allow wax to drip into the ear canal (if you don’t set your hair on fire first), supposedly help with a range of ailments including ear infections, sinus infections and sore throats. For those ear candle devotees, warm olive oil poured into the ear is a good home remedy for getting out some excess wax build-up, and doesn’t involve flame near your lobes. Sheesh, and doctors thought they had to worry about their patients shoving Q-tips in too far.
Read the full L.A. Times post here.