Surprisingly, most kids who swallow nails, pins and even razor blades will pass them naturally through their system. Still, parents should seek medical attention as soon as they suspect a swallowing because sharp objects can puncture children’s esophagus, stomach or intestines. “We don’t make a routine of removing them unless they get caught in stomach,” says Teach, but notes that each case must be evaluated on an individual basis. The foreign object will usually pass within a couple of days, but “parents should have a heightened awareness of any pain, vomiting or blood found in their children’s stools,” he says. Such symptoms warrant immediate emergency medical attention.