Brightly colored pills and multivitamins can be tempting to toddlers with sticky fingers. Not all pills are dangerous, but there some that are obvious hazards for small bodies — like opioid painkillers, which can cause fatal overdose. Even seemingly benign pills like multivitamins can be risky. “Consuming multivitamins containing iron is a particular worry,” says Teach. “Too much iron can cause iron-related poisoning, which causes inflammation in the stomach” and even death.
Alcohol and any medications containing alcohol can also lead to serious harm, especially since even a little bit can affect children’s small bodies. Parents should call a poison control center right away if their child has consumed drugs or alcohol.