19. Eat before the airport. Chow down on a big meal before hitting the airport to avoid having to eat at the fast food courts. If you’ve got to eat there, try fruit or a salad (dressing on the side!).
20. Watch out for jet lag. Adjusting to a new time zone might make you hungry at odd hours. Resist the urge to snack at 4 a.m. and wait for normal meal times instead.
21. Drive past the drive-thru. If you’re driving to your getaway, plan where and when you’ll be stopping for meals before hitting the road. It’ll give you more flexibility on choosing a healthier restaurant — or figuring out the best options. And of course, pack your own healthy snacks! (See a theme here?)
22. Keep work away. It’s a vacation, remember? Resist the urge to check work e-mails and focus on having fun. It will keep your mind clear and allow you to decompress.
23. Free your mind. Meditating for just a few minutes can help relieve anxiety and stress.
24. Get the most out of time off. Doing activities that you enjoy, keeping your cell phone off, and sharing time with friends and family (or alone time!) ensure that you’ll get the most bang for your buck out of a vacation.
How do you stay fit while on vacation? Do you find you put on pounds every vacation? Let us know in the comments below!
Greatist is the fastest-growing fitness, health and happiness startup. Check out more tips, expert opinion and fun times at Greatist.com.