According to Pastor Rick Warren, author of the best seller The Purpose Driven Life and leader of Saddleback Church in Lake Forest, Calif., Scripture not only urges followers to live a better life but also can motivate them to lose weight too. Warren created the Daniel Plan for his congregation, a wellness program inspired by the Book of Daniel in which Daniel refuses the decadent royal feast offered to him by King Nebuchadnezzar and instead asks for vegetables and water. The Daniel Plan consists of eating programs, workout classes and small-group meetings designed to help people make changes in their lifestyle in order to improve their health. More than 15,000 members of Warren’s congregation have signed up, collectively losing 260,000 lb.
Thanks for liking TIME’s Top 10 Everything of 2012 List. Like TIME on Facebook now for more breaking news and current events from around the globe.
Top 10 Diet Discoveries
Top 10 Fitness Fads
Top 10 Marriage Stories
Top 10 Medical Breakthroughs
Top 10 Ridiculously Obvious Study Findings
- 10. Use of Common Pesticide Linked to Bee Colony Collapse
- 9. Want to Limit Aggression? Practice Self-Control!
- 8. Moderate Doses of Alcohol Increase Social Bonding in Groups
- 7. Blood Pressure Drugs Don’t Protect Against Colorectal Cancer
- 6. To “Think Outside the Box,” Think Outside the Box
- 5. Web Offers Poor and Often Inaccurate Info on Designer Vagina Procedures
- 4. Monogamy Reduces Major Social Problems of Polygamist Cultures
- 3. Monitoring Spinal Cord During Surgery May Help Prevent Paralysis
- 2. Why Older People Struggle to Read Fine Print—New Study
- 1. Dogs Learn to Associate Words With Objects Differently Than Humans Do
Top 10 Parenting Trends