‘Tis the season for holiday beverages. Starbucks’ highly-anticipated Pumpkin Spice Latte got us through Thanksgiving, and now we’re craving the Peppermint Mocha.
Although holiday drinks get us in the spirit, swapping your daily cup-o’-joe for a sugary mocha each morning won’t help your waistline. A grande peppermint mocha is 410 calories, with 15 g of fat and 54 g of sugar. You can always opt for a ‘skinny’ version of the drink with nonfat milk or a pump of sugar-free flavoring.
Or you can make your own version, as Shapiro does with the following recipe:
1. Brew 16 oz. hot or iced coffee
2. Add a few tablespoons of sugar-free chocolate syrup
3. Add two or three drops of peppermint extract
4. Add a few tablespoons of milk or non-dairy varieties like coconut, soy, or almond milk
5. Top off with low-calorie sweetener to taste
Nutritional data: 16oz , 20-30 calories, 1g fat, no added sugar