Scorned lovers have been around almost as long as lovers, but they used to write poetry. Now, with the added fillip of social media, it’s a marketing opportunity. In May, a newly divorced woman in Superior, Wis., held an “X-husband” yard sale of her former spouse’s stuff, including an SUV spray-painted with the word cheater. In July, another woman followed suit, with a forensically worded sign that read, “Husband left us for a 22-year-old. House For Sale by scorned, slightly bitter, newly single owner.” Her accompanying website, greatfamilyhome.com, drew more than 2 million visitors. And the home sold.
Thanks for liking TIME’s Top 10 Everything of 2012 List. Like TIME on Facebook now for more breaking news and current events from around the globe.
Top 10 Diet Discoveries
Top 10 Fitness Fads
Top 10 Marriage Stories
Top 10 Medical Breakthroughs
Top 10 Ridiculously Obvious Study Findings
- 10. Use of Common Pesticide Linked to Bee Colony Collapse
- 9. Want to Limit Aggression? Practice Self-Control!
- 8. Moderate Doses of Alcohol Increase Social Bonding in Groups
- 7. Blood Pressure Drugs Don’t Protect Against Colorectal Cancer
- 6. To “Think Outside the Box,” Think Outside the Box
- 5. Web Offers Poor and Often Inaccurate Info on Designer Vagina Procedures
- 4. Monogamy Reduces Major Social Problems of Polygamist Cultures
- 3. Monitoring Spinal Cord During Surgery May Help Prevent Paralysis
- 2. Why Older People Struggle to Read Fine Print—New Study
- 1. Dogs Learn to Associate Words With Objects Differently Than Humans Do
Top 10 Parenting Trends